Emerging Best Practices for Employers in the Current COVID-19 Crisis
- 30 mins briefing
- 30 mins Q&A
During this session, attorneys from Cowan Perry PC will highlight:
- Updates on new Federal laws and guidelines, including Families First Coronavirus Response Act (“FFCRA”) and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)
- Contract issues
- Teleworking- Best Practices and more!
11:55 a.m. 12:00 p.m.
- Log in to ensure you are connected to event
- Mute yourself to reduce feedback for all attendees
Note: Logon credentials with password will be shared prior to the event with information about how to access this online session.
Thank you for participating virtually!
JAMES K. COWAN JR., CHAIRMAN AND ATTORNEY
- Chairman and attorney with CowanPerry PC in Blacksburg and Roanoke, Virginia
- Practice focuses on labor and employment counsel, complex business litigation, land use issues, and commercial real estate projects. He also serves as general outside counsel to numerous businesses
- Represents a number of employers in the mid-Atlantic region, ranging from high-tech start-ups to large manufacturers
- Over twenty-five years litigation experience in federal and state courts across Virginia defending wrongful discharge claims, claims for relief under the Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act, disability discrimination claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and claims of sexual harassment, and race and gender discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Frequent speaker and corporate trainer for companies on sexual harassment, employment discrimination, FMLA and ADA compliance, the Fair Labor Standards Act, diversity and affirmative action, conducting workplace investigations, hiring and firing, and union free management
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor and Employment Law; selected as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Employment and Labor
540.443.2860 Blacksburg Direct
ERIC D. CHAPMAN, PARTNER AND ATTORNEY
- Partner and Attorney, CowanPerry, PC
- Practice focuses on outside general counsel services, including employment law compliance and business litigation.
- Represents clients with offices and employees across the country and around the world. Licensed to practice in Virginia and North Carolina.
- Member of the Virginia State Bar and North Carolina State Bar. Executive Committee Member of the Ted Dalton American Inns of Court and Board Member of the Community Foundation of the New River Valley and New River Valley Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM).
- Recognized by SuperLawyers as a Virginia Rising Star in Employment law from 2017 through 2020.
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, Washington & Lee University School of Law.
SUZANNE Y. PIERCE, ATTORNEY
- Partner and Attorney, CowanPerry, PC
- Practice concentrates on assisting clients as they navigate commercial real estate transactions, including, purchases, sales, leases, tax-free exchanges and financings; business formation, governance and conversion, contract negotiation and drafting, mergers and acquisitions,
- Has developed specific expertise in working with intellectual property related issues, assisting businesses of all sizes in the technology sector.
- Her commercial litigation experience includes international and regional mediations in the United Kingdom, breach of contract disputes in the Federal court in Washington State, and intellectual property disputes in the Southern District of New York.
- Represents clients in the mid-Atlantic region, as well as in the EU. Licensed to practice in Virginia and New York; and as a Qualified Solicitor, Northern Ireland
- A graduate of Queen’s University Belfast, Institute of Professional Legal Studies, 2010; Queen’s University Belfast, School of Law, LLB, 2008 – Runner Up Best Student by British Council, 2007
- Recognized by SuperLawyers as a Virginia Rising Star in Business/Corporate law from 2017 to present.
CowanPerry PC Recognized by 2020 U.S. News® – Best Lawyers® ‘Best Law Firms’
CowanPerry PC is proud to announce that the firm was recognized in the 2020 edition “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report -The Best Lawyers®. The firm was acknowledged with rankings in 9 practice areas in the Roanoke Metropolitan area including:
Tier 1: Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions Law.
Tier 2: Corporate Law, Litigation – Labor & Employment, and Tax Law.
Tier 3: Employees Benefits (ERISA) Law, Employment Law – Management, and Real Estate Law.
The “Best Law Firm” rankings are based on results of an evaluation process including client evaluations, peer reviews from leading attorneys, and analysis of additional information provided by law firms. To be eligible for a ranking in a particular practice area and metro region, a firm must have at least one lawyer who is included in The Best Lawyers in America©, which recognizes the top 4 percent of practicing attorneys in the US.
For more information and to register click here